Call: 02089881662

How Much Does An Electrical Safety Certificate Cost?

First and foremost, you may be wondering what an electrical safety certificate is and why you’d ever need one. An electrical safety certificate is a document provided by a qualified electrician stating that the plug sockets, the wiring and the fuse boxes in one building are safe for use. For any new electrical installation, repairs and servicing carried out, an electrical safety certificate is mandatory for homeowners and landlords to demonstrate that the house isn’t posing a risk to anybody’s health.

Bearing in mind that the document is a legal requirement, do you still have to pay for an electrical safety certificate? And if so, why? How much does an electrical safety certificate cost, on average? At Kiasu Workforce, we have answers to all the questions you could need to know about your electrical safety documents.


How Do I Organise An Electrical Safety Certificate?

Any registered electrician can issue an electrical safety certificate, so any local trader you get in touch with will be able to assist. Reputable tradespeople can be found on Google or recommended by local businesses, and you’ll be able to get in contact with most electricians by website, email or the phone with any queries before you settle on the work. An electrical safety certificate could be organised alongside other electrical works you need completing, or you could request it separately!


How Often Do I Update The Certificate?

Electrical safety certificates can perfectly accompany periodic inspections, so you ought to arrange for a new certificate whenever your property needs to be inspected. Tenanted properties need inspecting every five years or at every change of residency, so that’s when a new certificate ought to be issued. Owner-occupied homes only need checking every ten years, so certificates will only need updating once a decade. Businesses need a periodic inspection and a new certificate every five years at the minimum.


Why Do Electrical Safety Certificates Cost?

Your electrical safety certificates cost since you’re paying for an electrician’s time. Certificates can only be issued once all ports and wiring in your home have been inspected, and that takes expertise, and travel that is factored into the cost. The physical certificates require resources that cost too, such as accompanying paperwork to file away as proof of the certificate’s validity and the actual award paper.


How Much Do Electrical Safety Certificates Cost?

From one-bedroom flats to five-bedroom houses, you can witness a price difference from one hundred pounds to five hundred. A broad estimate of your certificate cost is the number of bedrooms multiplied by one hundred, but that’s excluding VAT. Also, the area that your house is in will likely affect the hourly rate of local electricians, so you can never be certain on what you’re looking to pay without a quote! Thankfully, most businesses provide no-obligation, free quotations or estimates through the phone.


Are There Any Benefits To Certificates?

Electrical safety certificates are an absolute necessity to landlords to demonstrate that they’re doing everything within their power to keep their properties in peak condition. Suppose any serious faults that cause injury to residents should develop. In that case, landlords that have had their property inspected can prove that they aren’t at fault and avoid legal or financial trouble.

The peace of mind that comes alongside a safety certificate can also be worth every penny for your home. When all of your property and your treasured belongings are stored under one roof, you want to be as confident as possible that an electrical fire is highly unlikely. In a proven-safe home, you know your items and your loved ones are as secure as possible.


The Conclusion

Electrical safety certificates are an unavoidable cost, but they’re required for sensible reasons. So when the time comes to schedule your periodic inspections, contact well-reviewed tradespeople like the team at Kiasu Workforce for your next certificate and a thorough assessment of your property for any electrical faults.

DIY; What You Need & When You May Need A Professional

Fairly often, when things go wrong in the home (or we just need something doing!), the first thing we consider doing is making an emergency call to someone. Sometimes, it can be a family member who you know is fairly handy, but other times it can be an emergency electrician or plumber, depending on what has gone wrong and how quickly you need it solving! We often panic that we can’t do anything ourselves or perhaps we don’t trust ourselves to try and right the wrong.

Despite this, there are definitely a few repairs and home maintenance things that can be done by yourself, provided you have the right tools and equipment to do so. By having some tools ready and waiting, you’ll know when a repair or task is needed, whether you can grab your kit and do it yourself, or if you need to call in a professional.



Drains have a habit of getting blocked from time to time. Whether you’ve put something down there that you shouldn’t have, or there’s been a blockage further along, it happens. Two pieces of equipment that can help you unclog a drain yourself are a plunger and a drain snake. Both together and seperately, these tools can assist in getting your drain unclogged and back in working order if the issue is small.

However, there may be occasions where the blocked drain causes damage and inconvenience like flooding, larger blockages on your street or foul odours. This may be the situation where you may have to call for a professional in blocked drains. They will be able to assess the situation and work to resolve the issue(s), leaving your drains clear and clean.



Boilers are an aspect of your home/property where you have to be extremely cautious and careful. Issues with boilers and gas pipework can be severely harmful if not looked at by a professional. An issue that we commonly come across involves radiators that aren’t fully warm, affecting heating and costing money. This is something that can be solved at home if the problem isn’t a large one. All that you need is a radiator key to ‘bleed’ your radiators and that may resolve the issue. Some other hands-free solutions that you can perform at home include re-pressurising your boiler and manually resetting it.

There are certainly some instances where boilers need professionals to look at them. Whether you’re looking to replace or install a gas boiler, or you smell gas, ensure that you call a professional – the latter could be extremely dangerous.


Odd Jobs

There are plenty of odd repair and maintenance jobs that you can do around your home. Some may require special tools that you can easily grab from your local DIY store, whilst others may require your typical handyman equipment. Jobs include tiling walls, plastering, replacing lightbulbs or fitting new lights altogether, or simply painting and decorating your property.

The above can certainly be simple jobs you can work on yourself with no real danger (if done properly) but they can, however, be time-consuming and messy if not done properly and with care. Property maintenance isn’t something that everyone loves and wants to get involved in, but luckily there are services out there that can take the hassle from you.


Ensuring that your DIY box is filled up with appropriate tools could save you both time and money in the long run, allowing you to do some jobs that professionals aren’t required for. However, as always, ensure you know of and look out for the warning signs of certain issues that may require a professional to step in.

Here at Kiasu, we have teams of emergency electricians, gas & heating engineers and plumbers to assist should you need it.

Workplace Safety: Is Your Business Fully-Certified?

Workplace safety is exceptionally important but making sure your property meets rigorous safety standards can be difficult if you are unaware of the different assessments used to test your safety. In this guide, we will show you the most important certificates, assessments and tests needed to demonstrate your property’s safety and identify areas which may need improving. We will focus on three of the main areas of any property’s safety; electrical safety, fire safety, and gas safety. From EICR and fixed wire testing to gas safety certificates, there are a plethora of ways to improve your commercial property’s safety.


Electrical Safety

Electrical safety is one of the most important areas of any business. The consequences of bad electrical safety can be significant, ranging from shocks and burns which can be harmful to employees, to fires and explosions which can destroy a property and even be fatal. There are a few assessments you can undergo to make sure your electrical safety is up to standard.

Firstly, portable appliance testing (more commonly known as PAT testing) can be used to ensure electrical safety across all appliances which are connected to electricity through a lead and plug. Health and safety laws make it a legal requirement that all appliances are tested regularly.

Secondly, a business can acquire an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) to evidence that electrical installations are up to standard. An EICR will detail the findings of fixed wire testing which is crucial to identifying potential electrical hazards. An EICR is so incredibly important to health and safety that recent laws have made them mandatory in privately rented residential properties.


Fire Safety

A fire can be devasting to a business which is why it is important to implement precautions to prevent them as well as take measures to mitigate their damage if they occur. Businesses are no longer issued fire safety certificates and instead must undertake a fire safety assessment. This puts the onus of fire safety on the business and its “responsible person”. A fire safety assessment will cover the full breadth of fire safety measures for businesses. You can read a step by step guide to implementing a fire safety assessment in our Guide to Fire Safety.

Fire alarm and fire door installation is essential, and all smoke detectors should be tested routinely. Fire extinguishers should be placed throughout the building. Properly training employees on fire safety and the evacuation process in the event of a fire is also fundamental to keeping employees safe. A fire safety assessment will cover all these elements and more.


Gas Safety

Commercial property gas safety obligations fall into two main areas; maintaining all gas installation and keeping records of an annual gas safety inspection. Maintenance is required for all gas installations and appliances. Gas safety maintenance includes an annual inspection and servicing by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 

You legally require a Gas safety certificate which can only be issued by a Gas Safe engineer. To get a Gas Safety certificate an engineer will need to visit your premises and carry out an inspection of all gas appliances including a visual inspection and functionality, operations and pressure tests. The extraction methods of appliances which use an extraction system to extract combustion gases will be assessed for suitability.


The health and safety of your employees and those visiting your commercial property is extremely important. To best protect them from hazards (and yourself from legal consequences) you need to make sure your businesses is taking all the necessary precautions and has obtained the required certificates which evidence that safety measures have been put in place.

What is an EICR? – Kiasu Workforce

What is an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)?

An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is an inspection to test the safety of the electrical circuits in a building.

Any electrical installation should always be covered by an up-to-date EICR, or periodic inspection report. An Electrical Installation Condition Report is not always a strict legal requirement, however it fulfils the conditions of laws such as the Electricity at Work Act 1989.

An EICR is vital to ensure safety and compliance. Without an EICR, landlords can be held responsible for electricity-related injuries or deaths.

What does an EICR cover?

Commercial building maintenance - Property maintenance - electrical-1031989_1920 - Kiasu Workforce

During an EICR, the fuse board, wiring and electrical accessories are inspected and tested for faults or deviations from the Wiring Standards. Throughout the test, the following will be checked:

  • Adequacy of earthing and bonding
  • Fire/electric shock protection devices
  • Any damage or wear & tear that might affect the safety of building users
  • Identification of any damaged electrical fittings/accessories
  • Identification of exposed live wires that could cause a fire or injury

Only a skilled and competent registered electrician should carry out an EICR.

How often does an EICR need to be carried out?

BS7671 (17th Edition Wiring Regulations) recommends homeowners carry out an EICR at least every 10 years in domestic properties. It is also important to have one done if you are moving out or into a new home. Your insurance may require one – or if you suspect your current electrics are old or faulty, it’s a worthwhile check. The only exception to this is if the property has a swimming pool – this should ideally be tested once every year.

Under the Landlord and Tenants Act (1985), landlords must ensure that the electrical installation in a rented property is maintained safely throughout a tenancy. To ensure this, BS7671 recommend an EICR test at change of tenancy or at least every 5 years. We also recommend annual PAT testing.

Whilst it is not a legal requirement for a business to have an EICR, employers are legally responsible for the welfare of employees. Under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act and the Electricity at Work Act 1989, employers must take precautions against the risk of injury from electricity used as part of work activities. BS7671 recommends an EICR be carried out at least every 5 years.

How much does an EICR cost?

BS7671 gives guidance on testing and sample testing in particular. In larger installations, it is legally acceptable to just test a small sample of the final circuits. Lighting and socket circuits, for example, are final circuits. We wouldn’t recommend this, as it can give a misleading view of an installation.

To obtain the true price of your EICR, ask each electrical contractor for the number of circuits they will test. This is the figure to factor into your cost comparison.

Also, unscrupulous contractors sometimes price an EICR at a loss on the basis that they will inflate the costs of the remedial works to make up for the initial low cost of the test. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to quote for remedial works from another contractor’s test certificate. Beware of prices that seem too good to be true!

A typical Electrical Installation Condition Report could start from something like £280 + VAT for six circuits, with additional circuits charged at around £20 per circuit. A typical three bedroom property will take around four hours to complete.

Electrical checks I can carry out myself

Electricity - Fuse Box - KiasuFinally, we’re not advocating you taking your fuseboard apart and having a fiddle round with a screwdriver. However, there are several easy tests you can do yourself. Here are a number of risk-free visual checks you can carry out at home:

  • Ensure your extension leads are being used correctly – not in sequence
  • Check wires for frayed sections, exposed metal core and areas which are vulnerable to damage
  • Check sockets and light switches for any cracks, discolouration or burn marks
  • Ensure that electrics in your bathroom are situated at least 3 metres from water appliances
  • Test your RCD by pressing the “test” button. All the appliances protected by the RCD should switch off – if they don’t, call an electrician

Most importantly, ensure your property is maintained at an appropriate schedule, by a qualified, NICEIC-approved electrician.

What is Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)?

If you have found yourself asking, “What is PAT Testing?” you have come to the right place. Here at Kiasu Workforce, we are pleased to present a comprehensive guide to PAT testing. Starting with the answer to your burning question.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is the periodic inspection of electrical equipment to identify defects. You’ve probably seen one of those little green stickers on a toaster, kettle, washing machine or tumble dryer. It means the appliance has undergone electrical testing and is safe to use. These stickers are commonplace in our day-to-day lives and ensure the public’s safety while using electrical appliances.

But sometimes, knowing the definition of PAT testing is not enough, so here is some more information to ensure you’re fully informed on the importance of PAT testing. 


Is PAT Testing a legal requirement?

By law, electrical appliances in business premises must be safe for use (as per the HSE’s Electricity at Work Regulations 1989). PAT testing allows businesses to comply with this legal requirement. 

There is no legal requirement to carry out PAT inspections at home. Still, it’s always worth keeping electrical safety in mind.

There are seven categories of appliances that should be considered for PAT testing:

  • Fixed equipment
  • Stationary equipment
  • IT equipment
  • Moveable appliances
  • Portable appliances
  • Cables & chargers
  • Handheld appliances


What is the difference between movable and portable appliances?

In this case, “moveable” means something which plugs into a socket and can be unplugged and moved around easily. “Portable” means something designed for use on the go.


Traditional vs visual examination methods

Most defects can be found through visual examination methods, but some types can only be found by testing. Visual examinations are still necessary because some types of electrical safety defects can’t be detected through traditional testing methods.

Visual inspection and testing by a competent person may be required, depending upon the type of equipment and the environment in which it is used.


How frequently do I need to test my electrical appliances?

Most people do not know how often PAT Testing should be done. Some appliances must be tested more often, such as well-used, often knocked or easily damaged appliances. It is recommended that risk assessments are carried out regularly to determine how frequently each appliance should be tested and the type of test needed.

The frequency of inspection and testing depends upon the type of equipment and the environment it is used in. For example, a power tool used on a construction site should be examined more frequently than a lamp in a hotel bedroom.

A record and labelling can be useful management tools for monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of the maintenance scheme and for demonstrating that a scheme exists.

New equipment should be supplied in a safe condition and not require a formal portable appliance inspection or test. A simple visual check will verify the item is free of damage.


What are the classes of electrical equipment?

Electrical appliances are generally categorised as classes 1, 2 or 3, with Class 1 being the most dangerous and Class 3 the least dangerous. Class 1 appliances need a full PAT inspection, Class 2 appliances need an insulation test, and Class 3 appliances are safe enough not to require testing. However, a visual test may be carried out.


Class 1 Appliances

This type of electrical equipment has only basic insulation and relies on an earth for protection. Examples include washing machines, tumble dryers, computers, kitchen equipment and extension leads.

Class 2 Appliances

This type of electrical equipment has extra insulation. It doesn’t rely on an earth for protection, which makes it safer. E.g. lawnmowers, televisions, drills, hairdryers and lamps.

Class 3 Appliances

Class 3 appliances, such as laptops, torches and cameras, are the safest class of electrical appliances due to the low voltages involved. Their charging leads may require tests.


How is Portable Appliance Testing carried out?

Many people do not know how to PAT Test. Those carrying out PAT testing do require a level of knowledge and experience. The right equipment is also necessary, as is the ability to understand the test results properly.

Testing required depends on the type of appliance. The electrician must carry out risk assessments to ensure equipment can be tested safely.

Another important consideration in ensuring the user’s safety is the order in which these tests are carried out. The sequence should always be:

  1. Earth continuity test
  2. Insulation resistance test
  3. Protective conductor/touch current test or alternative/substitute leakage test
  4. Functional Check

An insulation test should always come before attempting any tests which involve applying mains power to the equipment under test. It may detect a dangerous insulation failure.

The recommendations given by the IET Code of Practice for In-Service Testing of Electrical Equipment are as follows:

Class I Appliances

  1. Earth continuity test
  2. Insulation resistance test or protective conductor current test, or alternative/substitute leakage test
  3. Functional checks

Class II Appliances

  1. Insulation resistance test or touch current test, or alternative/substitute leakage test
  2. Functional checks 


How Much Does PAT Testing Cost?

The cost of PAT testing depends primarily on the number of electrical items that will need to be tested in the workplace. A PAT Test also needs to be carried out to the highest standard to ensure the safety of people in the workplace, so it can be time-consuming.

Prices can vary based on the number of items being tested and the time this will take, so it is best to enquire and get a personal quote. Contact our expert team today and email us to enquire.


Can I carry out PAT inspections myself?

A “competent person” can legally carry out testing. This person should have adequate knowledge of electricity and experience in electrical work. They need to know how to carry out both the visual inspection and PAT test, plus understand the hazards.

They should also know the precautions to take when PAT testing and be able to decide whether it’s safe for PAT testing to continue.

Suppose you are concerned about the competency required for PAT testing. In that case, you may feel more comfortable contracting a qualified electrician to carry out PAT procedures. This is especially important where multiple items must be PAT tested, or class 1 appliances require testing.


Book PAT Testing Today 

We can help you with a variety of electrical works at Kiasu Workforce, including expert PAT testing in London. 

Our team of qualified and experienced electricians are on hand to ensure capable and competent PAT testing for all appliances on your site.  We can also offer further guidance on appliances that do not pass the PAT test, as well as advise on when PAT testing should be carried out again in line with legal safety compliance. 

Get in touch with our team today to learn more about how we can help you with PAT testing. 



PAT testing explained: Everything you need to know

A complete guide to PAT testing for businesses

Workplace safety: Is your business fully certified?

Fixed Wire Testing: How Often Should You Do It?

Fixed Wire Testing is something that isn’t negotiable. It is required, by law, that you do it regularly – but just how often? The actual frequency of how often you test is dependent on your business type and can be as often as every year up to every five years.

Fixed Wire Testing is also known as an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR Report). It is a tool that makes sure you are compliant with workspace safety legislation, keeping your business and staff as safe as possible. It is a test that checks whether your electrical installations and circuits are fitted correctly and are in line with the latest wiring regulations.

A handful of factors determine how often you require an EICR as a business. These are:

  • The kind of electrical installation
  • How often the installation is used
  • Any external influences

A Fixed Wire Test includes performing visual inspections and electrical tests on the various systems in your building. However, this can often be done outside of regular working hours so that it does not disrupt your employees and customers. All inspections allow us to produce a detailed EICR, which is essentially an assessment of your electrical installations. Here, you will receive recommendations on moving forward and resolving any issues.

If you are a business, it is vital to take note of the maximum period allowed between tests. You must not exceed this.

1 – 3 Years Fixed Wire Testing

If your workplace is exposed to various environmental factors that may affect the general public, you may have to go through frequent testing. This includes the likes of moisture, extreme high and low temperatures or dust, as these can constitute a risk to the public.

The types of workplaces/environments that may need 1 – 3-year Fixed Wire Testing are:

1 Year – Medical Locations, Swimming Pools and Saunas, Caravan Parks, Petrol Stations

3 Year – Spa Hotels, Leisure Centres, Industrial Units, Theatres, Caravans

5 Year Fixed Wire Testing

It is more common that you will need an EICR every five years. But despite this, we would always recommend that you have annual reviews and inspections to ensure maximum safety.

The workplaces that would need 5-year tests are:

5 Year – Commercial offices & retail outlets, Hotels, Restaurants, Education buildings, Laboratories, Community Centres, Pubs, Care homes, Halls of residence

Working Around Your Testing

As we previously mentioned, it’s important to have your fixed wire installations checked annually for the highest safety levels. This will allow you to identify and solve any issues before the official testing. Although these do not necessarily have to be carried out by an electrical professional, they must be someone who can recognise any issues and use the installation properly.

You can look out for several things when doing these routine checks. These include general wear and deterioration, overheating, loose or mixing parts and fixings, or general breakages. These are all things to note, and then you can hire an electrical professional to fix any indicated issues.

Do you need help with Fixed Wire Testing in London, or are you not quite sure where to begin? We can help. Give us a call on 0208 988 1662 to discuss your needs.

Kiasu expands successful PPM partnership with CRM Students

CRM & Kiasu celebrate successful PPM contract

Kiasu is proud to be a preferred maintenance and works partner of CRM Students. Continuing an already successful partnership, Kiasu is responsible for planned preventative maintenance (PPM) and emergency maintenance for five of CRM’s properties in Greater London.

Planned Preventative Maintenance

Kiasu’s duties will include fire, plumbing and electrical safety checks, utility installation, repair and replacement, building refurbishment, fixed wire testing, PAT testing, minor repairs and decorating projects. In addition, the company provides an emergency callout service. Accordingly, Kiasu is employed as a planned preventative maintenance provider with a reactive maintenance provision.

CRM Students

CRM Students offers high-quality student accommodation for all budgets, operating across the UK with locations in 31 different towns. CRM’s Kiasu-maintained London portfolio includes Fulham Palace Studios, Kingston Plaza, Felda House & Grand Felda House at Wembley and Hox Park in Egham.

Fulham Palace Studios
Fulham Palace Studios

Kingston Plaza
Kingston Plaza

Hox Park
Hox Park

Felda House
Felda House

Grand Felda House
Grand Felda House

CRM aims to provide a comfortable environment with a friendly community. suitable for all types of students to study and socialise. Properties are close to main transport lines. The company also works with Student Minds, a charity which provides critical mental health support for students. CRM conducts fundraising activities to help students help each other.

Kiasu Group

Kiasu has been around since 2009, and has grown to cover the whole of London and further afield. The Group provides an extensive range of property and maintenance services, as well as building projects and reactive maintenance. Kiasu also offers incident response training through its Crisis Management arm. Kiasu Workforce can assist with your maintenance needs. Give us a call on 02089881662 if you have an enquiry.


Ian Riches, Managing Director of Kiasu Group, commented; “We’re very glad to further strengthen our relationship with CRM. This opportunity reinforces our position as a service provider of choice within the student accommodation sector and vindicates the hard work our team do on a daily basis to grow our excellent client base. We look forward to working with our CRM colleagues through the duration of this contract and thereafter.”

Article by Barney Scott, Kiasu Group

© 2019 Barney Scott, Kiasu Group

BS7671 18th Edition Requirements Ups For Surge Protection

3-phase SPDs by Hager for BS7671 compliance

The 18th Edition of the BS7671 IET Wiring Regulations became the latest standard in electrical installations at the beginning of the year. Important to note is that with the 18th Edition, several key amendments to the requirements for surge protection were introduced.

At Kiasu Workforce, we want to help you understand these changes and get to grips with them quickly. This is why we have pulled together the key information you need to know about these important updates, so you know all the facts.



What is the BS7671?

Before we dive into what has changed with the BS7671, we need to understand exactly what it is in the first instance.

Published by the British Standards Institute and under the joint direction of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and British Electrotechnical Committee (BEC), the BS7671 is a non-statutory document.

So, although it is not legally required to be followed, many of the legislations regarding Electricity, Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 and Part P of the Building Regulations 2010 refer to the BS7671 as the standard to be achieved. However, exceeding these requirements is always best.

Regarded as an ‘all-encompassing’ standard for electrical safety, you must keep up to date with the latest changes and updates made to the BS7671 for this reason.



Wiring Regulations Updates

In terms of wiring regulation updates to the 18th edition, there have been several revisions you should be aware of.

Chapter 53  of the BS7671, which covers Protection, Isolation, Switching, Control & Monitoring, has been completely revised.

Section 534 (Devices for Protection Against Overvoltage) focuses on the requirement for SPDs (surge protection devices) to protect against transient overvoltages. This section focuses mainly on the selection and erection requirements for SPDs protecting against transient overvoltages, as required by Section 443, the BS EN 62305 series, or as otherwise stated.

Given the small size of many of today’s sophisticated electronic components, protection from ever-smaller transient voltages is increasingly important. Transients usually originate from lightning strikes, transformer switching, lighting and motors. SPDs, therefore, prevent equipment downtime, network failures and reduced lifespans for components.

Guidance is provided to help engineers choose the appropriate level of voltage protection. Crucially, emphasis has shifted from assessing whether you might need SPDs to prove that you do.


Surge Protection Devices are now mandatory

To put it simply, now, any business that meets one of the following four criteria must no longer only carry out a risk assessment. It’s now mandatory to install the appropriate surge protection on new installations.

BS7671 Section 433.3 now states, “Protection against transient overvoltages shall be provided where the consequence caused by overvoltage affects results in:

  1. Serious injury to, or loss of, human life
  2. Interruption of public services and/or damage to cultural heritage
  3. Interruption of commercial or industrial activity
  4. It affects a large number of collocated individuals

In addition, any building fed via an overhead supply line will also require an SPD.

These criteria will apply across a vast spectrum of businesses. Any business where a transient overvoltage could interrupt commercial activity or public services must install surge protection.


Compliance and fixed wire inspections/testing

Finally, not all businesses will meet the above criteria. If not, a documented risk assessment is required as evidence if an SPD is not to be installed.

The latest regulations apply to all new installations. Regular fixed wire inspections and testing will be subject to and assessed for compliance with BS7671 IET 18th Edition.


Ensuring Expert Electrical Safety

If you’re concerned about your project or site meeting electrical safety standards, why not hand electrical responsibilities to us?

At Kiasu Workforce, we are proud to offer electrical works to various sectors and industries throughout the London area. Thanks to our expert and experienced electrical engineers, we can help you with all manners of electrical works, installations and repairs, and emergency electrician work.

All you have to do is get in touch today with our friendly team to find out how we can help you.

Contact our dedicated helpdesk on 0208 988 1662, or don’t hesitate to email us at